(Petaling Jaya, Wednesday): UMNO Youth deputy leader, Datuk Abdul Aziz Shikh Fadzir has told the Chinese media that the Cabinet had never accepted in principle the 17-point Suqiu demands in the last general election.
This is in open contradiction of what the MCA President, Datuk Seri Dr. Ling Liong Sik had said after the Cabinet meeting of September 22, 1999 that the Cabinet had responded positively and "accepted" the Suqiu demands.
As reported by Berita Harian (23/9/1999) under the heading "Kabinet terima petisyen kaum Cina" , Liong Sik said
In any event, regardless of whether Abdul Aziz is right or wrong in disputing Liong Sik’s claim that the Cabinet had last September "accepted in principle" the Suqiu demands, it is no excuse for him and the UMNO Youth to stage an insensitive, unruly, abusive and gangsterish demonstration at the Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall last Friday.
The utter disregard and disrespect of sensitivities of a multi-racial, multi-lingual, multi-cultural and multi-religious Malaysia in the insensitive and gangsterish UMNO Youth demonstration last Friday, with inflammatory and racist placards, manhandling of newsmen, the one-week ultimatum and threat to "burn down the Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall" must be recognised as the most disgraceful and anti-national episode to happen during the 43rd Merdeka Month celebrations and since Malaysia entered the new millennium.
Malaysians are also waiting for the Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Norian Mai to explain why the police have suddenly become so helpless and ineffective to uphold the law and order without fear or favour although police reports have been lodged against the unruly, abusive and gangsterish UMNO Youth demonstration last Friday. Why hasn’t the police commenced investigations against Abdul Aziz and the gansterish UMNO Youth demonstrators last Friday?
The Police should be required to give a full and satisfactory explanation in the October meeting of Parliament why it has acted with double standards, treating the unruly, abusive, gangsterish, insensitive and ethnically-provocative UMNO Youth demonstration at the Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall so gingerly while trotting out chemically-laced water cannons and police riot squads without hesitation when dealing with peaceful and law-abiding demonstrators concerned about justice for former Deputy Prime Minister, Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.
UMNO Youth leader, Datuk Hishammudin Hussein Onn should realise that "enough is enough", that UMNO Youth has done enough harm to Malaysia’s efforts at nation-building and economic recovery and that it should end the charade of trying to create a synthetic political and communal crisis out of a vacuum and apologise for the disgraceful, gangsterish and insensitive demonstration at the Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall last Friday.
Last year, Hishammuddin was selected by Asiaweek as one of the twenty Asian "leaders of the millennium" - one of the two from Malaysia - who could break the "shackles of the past" and usher Asia into a new era.
This is the time for Hishammuddin to prove that he merits the selection
as one of the 20 Asian "leaders of the millennium" who can break
the shackles of the past and usher Malaysia into a new era, who will not
be just another Mohamad Khir Toyo but a Tun Hussein Onn, who would never
tolerate irresponsible communal politicking pandering to the worst
communal whims and fancies as threatening communal bloodshed and who earned
respect of all Malaysians, regardless of race or religion, for his unwavering
commitment for fair play, justice and the rule of law.