(Penang, Tuesday): I commend the Royal Commission of Inquiry for keeping to the February 22 date for the start of its public hearing into the “black eye” and other injuries sustained by former Deputy Prime Minister, Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim while under police custody at Bukit Aman.
The Royal Commission of Inquiry members had decided even before their official appointment to begin public hearings next Monday and I am encouraged by the seriousness they have shown to keep to this decision.
I will attend the Royal Commission of Inquiry public hearing when its begins its proceedings on Monday. In view of the great national and international interest, the Royal Commission of Inquiry should allow its proceedings to be televised - preferably live or at least recorded.
Former Attorney-General Tan Sri Abu Talib Othman who has been appointed to lead the investigations said yesterday that he has prepared a list of some 35 witnesses including Anwar, and has interviewed all of them except the former Deputy Prime Minister.
Abu Talib said it was not known how long the commission would take to
question all of the witnesses, but the hearings were not likely to last
beyond 10 days.
I am concerned that the list of 35 witnesses does not appear to include the Prime Minister, Datuk Seri Dr. Mahathir Mohamad. The Royal Commission of Inquiry should call Mahathir as witness to establish when and the circumstances he first learnt of Anwar’s “black eye” as Home Minister
Mahathir should explain what caued him to make the preposterous suggestion that Anwar’s "black eye" could have been self-inflicted as Anwar could "receive much mileage" if he could show that he had been "tortured" by police. Mahathir should have the humility to publicly apologise for such an outrageous statement.