(Petaling Jaya, Thursday): MCA President Datuk Seri Dr. Ling Liong Sik has joined other Barisan Nasional Ministers and leaders to comment on my Penang announcement on Sunday that I am prepared to return to the Penang political arena if the people of Penang are prepared to be in the vanguard of a new national movement for justice, freedom, democracy and good governance.
He said that I should not wait for any signal but to just go ahead with my intention to return to the Penang political arena, and went on to refer to the so-called "failed" DAP plans to take over the Penang Government from the Barisan Nasional after Tanjong 1, 2 and 3 in the previous three general elections.
Liong Sik is of course entitled to his views about my announcement, but he should have greater respect for justice, freedom and truth and should stop circulating half-truths and lies.
The DAP had so far made only one effort to capture the Penang State Government - the Tanjong 3 plan in the 1995 general elections. The Tanjong 1 and Tanjong 2 plans had nothing to do whatsoever with any bid to capture Penang state power.
I have already said that my announcement on Sunday had nothing to do with Tanjong 4 or any other plan to capture the Penang State Government.
I am not surprised that Long Sik as well as other Barisan Nasional leaders, both at national and Penang state levels, have reacted negatively to my announcement, but I hope they can rise above party politics and address the public policy national issues of justice, freedom, democracy and good governance as highlighted by the Lim Guan Eng case.
My announcement of my preparedness to return to Penang state political arena has nothing to do with DAP politics, but is about two issues: firstly, whether the time has come for a new national movement for justice, freedom, democracy and good governance in Malaysia as highlighted by the injustices of the Lim Guan Eng case; and secondly, whether the people of Penang are prepared to be in the vanguard of such a national movement.